Author Topic: JB's weird diet......  (Read 1702 times)

Offline «TcS»Ep1c®

JB's weird diet......
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »
For those who don't know, the Gracie Family invented Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the UFC, Modern Army Combatives, and many other self defense related programs and remains to this day the most effective and practical martial art.
Anywho, I loosely follow the Gracie Diet because I have seen the results in the Gracies themselves, and their family and friends. For example Helio Gracie lived to be 95 years old and even into his early 90s he was still rolling on the mats teaching and practicing his art. I don't follow this diet strictly but I do use some of their guidelines.

I have been in the gym for a couple years now. I do Karate and Jiu Jitsu. However I have to say that it wasn't until I changed the way I was eating that I started seeing real results. Not only that but I FEEL so much better. I rarely get sick now and recover from my workouts much faster.

This is just my personal preference and taken from bits and pieces of nutritional articles, experts and athletes. Always use what works for you, however maybe one or two things that I incorporate will help anyone looking to live healthier.

Here are some simple guidelines I follow:
For the most part: Fruits are cleansers, vegetables are builders, meats are bulkers.
-I try to buy everything I can organic especially fruits and veggies. Look at it this way, you can pay a little extra for your food now, or pay the doctor later.....
-I don't eat red meat because it takes the body too long to digest and I would rather my body use that energy for workouts, recovery, and fighting off sickness, etc. I get my protein from whey, almond butter, fish, chicken, etc
-Sugar is bad, the only sugars I ingest are from natural fruit, occasionally honey, chocolate milk post workout, or my post workout recovery mix.
-I only drink water, coconut water, or unsweetened tea with or between meals with the exception of my post workout drinks. I will drink vegetable juice as well, but I juice it myself.
-I only eat 3 meals a day. 8am - lunch - dinner  along with my post workout shake. I used to be on a diet that had me eating 6-7 times a day but I didn't see the results I expected and although they say it increases your metabolism, if you eat the right foods and let your body fully digest the food you eat between meals it uses less energy and leave more energy for your body to use to work out and perform other functions.
-If I absolutely must have something between meals its usually some fresh veggies, almonds, or an apple (organic or peeled, never eat the peels of a non-organic apple they have the highest concentration of pesticide of any food and it doesn't completely wash off).
-The bulk of the nutritional value of most fruits and vegetables are in their juice. For example melons; the pulp as no nutritional value. I juice an entire melon and drink the juice or make a smoothie with that and 4-5 bananas and get a very healthy meal.
-I eat A TON of bananas (more below)
-GO EASY ON YOUR PROTEIN SHAKES AND SUPPLEMENTS, that stuff can overwork your liver.
-Different carbs digest at different rates. Complex carbs like whole grains digest slower and are vital to good long term workout recovery and muscle building. Simple carbs are the king pre and post workout.

The digestive system is the most overworked part of the body. The Gracies have been studying how foods digest for decades. It turns out that you can optimize your bodies digestive process by eating the right combination of foods, therefore making your body use less energy digesting food so that energy can be used for other things. I loosely follow their guidelines for food combinations. www.graciediet.com has more details as this is too bulky of a subject to post on a forum.

This is usually my daily diet - 1 meal grains + protein, 1 meal fruit + cheese/protein, 1 meal meat & veggies

wake up 7am - Vegetable juice (carrots, celery, broccoli, radish, etc). If I dont have time for that I take a Centrum Performance vitamin. I also take my fish oil caplet and glucosamine with a decent amount of water.
8am breakfast (Grains)- I sometimes do:
Kashi Cereal (usually Autumn Harvest Wheat or similar) and an apple and organic milk
Oatmeal with apple or blueberries.
Breakfast Sandwich: Almond butter, avacado, and raw organic baby spinich on whole wheat toast
Sometimes after a heavy workout the night before I will have a protein shake with 1/2 cup of oatmeal.
I do grain in the morning because I work out in the late afternoon and evenings. By the time my body digests those complex carbs I will be needing them.

Lunch - Lunch is usually my "free to eat whatever" meal as long as I stay healthy
Chicken/fish and lots of veggies
Sometimes I do grilled cheese and soup
Sushi, Subway, etc
If I plan to eat out that night, or wife is cooking something special I will have my fruit for lunch instead.

Dinner - I eat fruit for dinner because I train like a madman and by the evening I need those faster carbs and the fruit helps purify the body while you sleep.
Smoothies:
Ingredient 1 -> 4-5 bananas (2-3 frozen ones with 2 normal ones) Bananas are the staple of my smoothies
Ingredient 2 -> Protein - Whey Protein powder or plain Greek yogurt, if I don't need any protein I put a dab of cream cheese for flavor and because it mixes well with the fruit (Gracie Diet)
Ingredient 3 -> Juice - I always juice my own fruit. I NEVER drink store bought juice except for organic Acai or  pomegranate. I juice a cantaloupe, honeydew melon, papaya, watermelon or grapes.
I drink the entire blender full as a meal. Fills you up, wont be hungry for hours.

Pre workout - I usually have something small 30 minutes before. Pretzels are great, fast acting carbs with salt, banana, etc. I take creatine too, which the mix has around 20-30 fast carbs so that's usually all I need. Waxy Maze is a great pre and post workout carb too.

Post workout - http://www6.netrition.com/on_211_recovery.html
that with a banana in a blender. If no banana I eat an apple. The fiber helps evenly digest the protein.
Some people take ridiculous amounts of protein but your body isn't going to process all that right away. Eat some meat or peanut/almond butter later on for some extra protein.

Is this a little unorthodox? Yes, but it works for me. I'm in the best shape I have ever been in and I feel great.

Offline «TcS»HB®

• «TcS» MemberGroup
Re: JB's weird diet......
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
I've followed this from someone I know personally...as it's benefited him well with drastic results...

I've noticed effective diets share commonalites; JB's diet...

I recommend the following guidelines for guys:

1. Depending on body type (endomorph, mesomorph, ectomorph) and overall size (height/weight), daily caloric intake will vary. In general, if one wants to lose and KEEP weight off, it's safe to recommend lowering overall caloric intake by 10%. Any more than that and folks will likely succumb to their hunger and give in to binges. For example, at 6' 155 lbs, I try to maintain my caloric consumption at @ 2200-2400 calories per day.

2. Composition is actually more important than quality when it comes to calories. 2200 calories worth of lean meat, vegetables, and nuts will power your body more efficiently and increase fat-burning metabolic rate, whereas an empty 2200 calories of starches (e.g., potatoes) or alcohol (beer) will absolutely result in weight gain. It's sorta like running high octane gas versus regular: costs more, but can actually provide for better MPG.

3. Along those lines, I recommend the a diet consisting of chicken (3-4 times weekly), fish (3-4 times weekly), and lean beef (1-2 times weekly) for lunch/dinner. Portion size of 6-8 oz should suffice and err on the side of lean (e.g., 93/7 for ground beef) where possible. I tend to limit my starches (no bread, no potatoes, no rice) and focus on green vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, spinach). Throw the iceberg lettuce out the window - no value whatsoever. Fruit is good for snacking, but avoid the high-sugar variety (e.g., grapes, melons). Bananas rock and apples rock. For breakfast, I usually eat either 5-6 eggs (50% with yolks) or a bowl of normal (not 1-minute) oatmeal with Muscle Milk on top. For snacks, I make up my own trail-mix consisting of dry almonds, cashews, and raisins (cranberries are good, too).

4. As for supplements, I limit myself to one shake or bar daily. Although a decent meal substitute, folks tend to overdo it with protein products. I like Muscle Milk mixed with 1% milk and frozen blueberries blended with ice. Pure Protein bars are good and pack in lots of protein at an affordable (~$1 each) price (HEB).

5. I try to eat something every 2-3 hours throughout the day, even if it's just a handful of nuts. Keeps the metabolism burning and avoids the desire to stuff oneself at mealtimes.

6. Exercise wise, I like to focus on weight training over cardio, but that's not the case for all. Cynthia and I are both firm believers in the fact that muscle consumes more calories than fat, so build the muscle base and watch the body composition change over time. For guys, I recommend rotating single body parts (arms, chest, back, shoulders, legs) once per week, mixed in with 3-4 aerobic (running, biking) sessions of at least 30 min's each. On the weights, start slowly with 4 sets of at least 10 reps each, no more than 3 exercises per body part. Once you've got a good base, start dropping the reps down to 7-8 with heavier weight to build mass.

7. For really obese (50 lbs or more over ideal weight), I recommend dropping caloric intake by 15-20% and upping cardio to 5 times per week. All other recommendations re: diet and weight training still apply.

8. Another important point.... hydrate... like crazy. Drink at LEAST six servings of water per day, 12 oz or more.

9. For dairy, I tend to consume more yogurt (plain with a dollop of honey) or low-fat cottage cheese mixed with a spoonful of low-sugar jam. I'm not a big milk drinker, but if I do, it's 1% or skim.

10. Lastly, no beer, period... unless you're willing to drink some of the ultra-lite varieties. Beer has the highest carb count of any alcohol. Better to go with vodka or gin with a no-cal mixer (e.g., Diet Coke) or simply a lime/lemon. Wine is alright, but it's still chock full of calories. Red over white... better for your heart.

Offline «TcS»Bang_Bang®

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
great reads  ;D maybe ill apply some of this to my daily eating

Offline «TcS»Ep1c®

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
Nice post HB.

Totally agree about the hydrating and the lettuce. All my salads are with spinach leaves instead of lettuce.

Offline «TcS»Zack®

• «TcS» MemberGroup
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »
Awesome insight guys! I have already incorporated what you taught me JB, but I will continue to keep a lookout on what I feel would suit my body and workout regemin.

Oranges are good to eat during the day right? I know they have quite a bit of acid in them, I dont want to over do it if its not going to help me out in the long run.

Offline «TcS»Ep1c®

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »
Yeah dude oranges are fine. I'm also glad to see so many of us trying to improve ourselves. It's great to have people to exchange knowledge/ideas with. You should get HB to message you some tips too man he knows a lot as well.

Offline «TcS»||BAD||®

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
i hate bananas but they are so good for you :( i think ill ad some strawberries in with the mix to kill the flavor :P

i like beer :( , I dont drink to much maybe 1-2 every 5-6 days?

Offline «TcS»InfamousTBG®

• «TcS» MemberGroup
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 03:41:27 PM »
how much do you spend on groceries a week?
We stopped looking for monsters under our bed once we realized they were inside us.

Offline «TcS»HB®

• «TcS» MemberGroup
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
$240-250 every two weeks.  then again, household of 3 and an 80lb boxer.