Author Topic: The Steam Box  (Read 523 times)

Offline «TcS»Bang_Bang®

• Global Moderator
The Steam Box
« on: November 26, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »

First Steam Machine from iBuyPower will be $499
It looks like a console

Steam Machine price First Steam Machine from iBuyPower will be $499 photo

iBuyPower showed off a prototype for its first Steam Machine, which will be out next year for $499. The sexy white box will have a multicore AMD CPU,
an AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card, a 500GB hard drive, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SteamOS, and a Steam Controller.

Don't run at me with torches ablaze, but it looks like this early Steam Machine will outperform the new consoles, at least from a raw power perspective.
TFLOPS is a way to calculate how fast a computer is, and according to Anandtech the PlayStation 4 has 1.84 TFLOPS, the Xbox One has 1.23 TFLOPS, and
The Tech Report has the R9 270, a $180 GPU, at 2.4 TFLOPS. With similar AMD multicore CPUs, the edge will go to the system with the better graphic processing and speed.

This is a lower price with better hardware than most people were expecting. Valve's own prototypes are all above this price point, so it's nice to see that
the first third-party system will be very affordable. We'll learn more about the hardware of this box, and other Steam Machines, at CES in January.

http://www.destructoid.com/first-steam-machine-from-ibuypower-will-be-499-266434.phtml#H8UBdvpheFuYuz8s.16

Offline «TcS»AF®

• «TcS» MemberGroup
Re: The Steam Box
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »
I'll stick with my preferred console called the PC. :)